Autodesk Vault can produce PDF files from drawings, Inventor Drawings and AutoCAD drawings, and so can Sovelia Vault. This blog post focuses on the added value and the benefits of using Sovelia Vault with your Autodesk software.Learn more
PDF Previews/Thumbnails in Vault
Many Autodesk Vault and Inventor users are accustomed to browsing for drawings and models using thumbnail previews to quickly narrow in on a required document. Native .pdf generation is now a feature in Vault however .pdf thumbnail previews are not enabled out of the box, instead you get an icon.
By installing a different .PDF viewer on the Autodesk Vault server it is possible to update the windows iFilter to support .PDF thumbnails.
1. Access the server where Autodesk Vault is installed.
2. Install ‘Foxit’ PDF reader. Only a minimal installation is required so uncheck everything but the base program.
3. After installation, head to the control panel and search for “index options”
4. Click on the “Advanced” button and go to the “File Types” tab. You should find two entries starting ’pdf’ and followed by the words PDF Filter. If you see ‘reader search handler’ or ‘file properties filter’ then the iFilters are unchanged and you will need to install a different version of foxit reader.
5. Now click “Modify” and make sure that the Vault file store is included in the indexed locations.
6. Go to Advanced again and rebuild the index.
7. The steps so far will give thumbnail previews in Windows explorer, to get them into Vault you will have to regenerate your .pdf files. You can allow this to happen naturally over time or if you have a job processor you can trigger with a quick change and roll back of version.
Visit our website for further information on Autodesk Vault, visit our product page here.
In this blog post, we take a look at why you should use Autodesk Docs in conjunction with Autodesk Takeoff when producing quantity takeoffs.Learn more
In part 1 of our “Hybrid office: a longer term strategy” blog series, we discussed the technology routes your business can take if you are likely to keep an emphasis on home working. In this blog post, we discuss the options available if your business is more likely to take an office at core, home at edge approach.Learn more