Initial transitions to home working in response to pandemic protocols and government requirements, were tactical in nature. They were designed to plug gaps that might have occurred in project/client servicing continuity. Now, businesses are looking beyond the responsive approach to longer term strategies; progressive, pragmatic, and productive.Learn more
Revit – Bringing Fire Protection into the world of BIM
Sprinkler system layouts using Revit
Deciding to adopt a new piece of software does not come without serious consideration for many concerns, such as how it might affect your current processes, delivery teams, and delivery commitments.
Model coordination, clash resolution, and data capture are significant aspects of many construction projects these days, and with a growing number of users, and equipment manufacturers providing their content as Revit families, now maybe the time to think about switching to Revit to produce your sprinkler system layouts, and move into the world of BIM.
Some of Symetri’s clients have moved or are considering the move to Revit for sprinkler layouts based on the key aspects mentioned above, but it is also worth considering some other points you may not be aware of that may just help you in your decision making process.
- Projects benefit from a significant reduction in potential project delays due to fewer RFI’s, with some projects reporting almost zero RFI’s due to working directly with project partners models.
- Create fabrication level sprinkler layouts directly in Revit using an intuitive tool set and utilising industry standard content.
- Create a sprinkler layout within Revit then convert that design model to a fabrication level model with industry standard pipe sections and fittings.
- Utilise legacy Fabrication CADmep layouts within Revit using maj export.
- Tools to create your own custom content within Revit.
- Custom Fabrication CADmep databases can be utilised within Revit.
- Custom Fabrication CADmep Profiles can be utilised within Revit .
- Keep large projects updated and current within a single file rather than relying on external referencing to see the complete project.
- Spatial awareness and visualisation, with great tools within Revit and various Add-ins available.
- Export from Revit to formats often required in BIM projects such as NWC and IFC.
Now that you know something of what Revit has to offer in the delivery of the fire protection aspect of a project, let’s consider where you might be in the process.
Many of the clients I have worked with have chosen to make the move to Revit for their own reasons, and our involvement was to provide training, built standards, and support to kickstart their journey in the right direction. Equally, if you are still at the decision making stage and are simply looking for clarification in any of the areas you may be unsure about, then please contact us and we will be happy to address any of your concerns.
I am very happy to say on occasion staff moving on from an organisation, where Symetri have overseen the implementation of Revit, have invited us to oversee a similar implementation within their new organisation, confident that Symetri can add real value at a time where there may be some concern over investment in new technology and processes.
Whether you have made the move or are considering the move to Revit for sprinkler system layouts, contact us to discover how we can help you maximise your investment.
At Symetri we have a dedicated manufacturing (MFG) team, skilled to guide our customers with development in emerging technology and processes linked to manufacturing industry trends.Learn more
The ladder-up or ladder-down concept makes you stop, think and reconsider your behaviours. In this blog, we look at how our AEC Email Management Software, Exictech Mail can help to protect businesses by providing easy access and visibility across project communications along with self-service training to give staff the snippets of knowledge they need to overcome day-to-day hurdles.Learn more