In this episode of the Smarter Building podcast, we caught up with Robert Kumapley, the Chief of Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) Program at The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey (PANYNJ), on the challenges and advantages of implementing an asset management strategy.
Unlocking Efficiency: The Importance of Capturing and Recording Live Construction Imagery & Data
In the world of construction, information is power. Accurate and timely data can make the difference between a project that runs smoothly on time, within budget, one fraught with delays, cost overruns, and disputes. Traditionally, construction data recording has relied on manual methods, but the industry is evolving, recognising the immense benefits of digitisation. In this blog post, we'll explore why capturing and recording construction data is crucial, the issues associated with traditional methods, what construction companies aim to gain, and how Oculo can be a game-changer in this regard.
The Importance of Data Capture:
Construction projects generate vast amounts of data, from project plans and budgets to daily logs and material orders. This data is essential for decision-making, accountability, and future planning. Efficient data capture ensures that stakeholders have access to real-time information, enabling them to make informed decisions promptly.
Traditional Data Recording Methods:
Historically, construction data has been recorded using pen and paper, spreadsheets, physical photography and/or disjointed software systems. While these methods have served the industry for decades, they come with several drawbacks:
- Human Error: Manual data entry is prone to errors or missed data/imagery, leading to inaccurate records that can result in costly mistakes.
- Lack of Real-time Updates: Traditional methods often result in delays in data entry, making it challenging to access up-to-date information promptly.
- Inefficiency: Manually collecting and inputting data/imagery is time-consuming and can divert resources away from more critical tasks.
- Data Silos: Different departments may use separate systems, leading to data fragmentation and difficulties in collaboration.
How Oculo Can Help:
Oculo, a cutting-edge 360-degree photogrammetry platform, offers a solution to the challenges of traditional data and imagery recording in construction. Here's how:
- Real-time Data Capture: Oculo enables construction teams to capture imagery and its associated data in real time, eliminating delays and ensuring up-to-the-minute accuracy.
- Centralised Data Repository: All project data and imagery are stored in a centralised location, making it accessible to authorised team members from anywhere, fostering collaboration and reducing data silos.
- Automation: Oculo automates many data and imagery capture processes, reducing the risk of human error and freeing up resources for other critical tasks.
- Analytics and Reporting: The platform offers robust analytics and reporting tools, allowing construction companies to derive meaningful insights from their captures imagery and associated data and make informed decisions.
- Scalability: Oculo can simplify and speed up imagery and data capture on small refurbishments or large new developments, supporting projects of all sizes.
Gains for Construction Companies:
The Oculo solution allows construction companies to:
- Enhance Efficiency: Streamline data capture processes saving time and reducing operational costs.
- Improve Accuracy: Accurate data ensures that project decisions are based on reliable information.
- Facilitate Collaboration: Centralised data repositories allow for seamless communication and collaboration among project stakeholders.
- Enable Data-Driven Insights: High-quality data and imagery serves as a foundation for analytics, allowing companies to identify trends and optimise their operations.
It’s widely accepted that the construction industry's shift towards digitisation and efficient data capture and recording is essential for its growth and competitiveness. Oculo's innovative platform serves as a valuable tool for construction companies, helping them harness the power of real-time imagery and data capture to drive success in their projects. By embracing technology like Oculo, construction firms can unlock new levels of efficiency, accuracy, and collaboration in their operations.
For more information on Oculo, view our product page.
This blog post is part of a series:
- Paper vs Technology when capturing and recording onsite construction data – There’s only one winner
- Streamlining Workflows: How Oculo enhances your construction processes with Autodesk BIM 360, Autodesk Construction Cloud and Viewpoint
- Supporting the Building Safety Act with Oculo: A new era in construction safety