It seems like such a long time ago that we were all wondering how the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) would impact our businesses and it’s easy to imagine that the problem has now gone away, but ignore it, and you could be making an expensive mistake.Learn more
Autodesk Nastran In-CAD 2018 – Mesh Table Tips
Are you starting out with Nastran In-CAD and things are getting a bit meshy?
One thing that can help is getting to grips with the mesh table, it allows really fine control over the mesh in each area of the model, to help with solve times, solve accuracy and troubleshooting.
The mesh table can be accessed here:
And here are my favourite uses for it:
- Adjust mesh size for each part in an assembly. Happily, you can enter a mesh size in mm, which allows pretty fine control on a part-by-part basis
- Adjust mesh settings for each part in an assembly. This is even more powerful – you can change the ratio between the smallest elements (where geometry curvature is highest) and the largest elements (where geometry curvature is lowest) for each part. You can also control how the mesh graduates from small to large elements for each part. Very cool
- Control the visibility of the mesh for specific parts. Don’t forget in Nastran In-CAD this is different from setting the CAD body visibility. The CAD surfaces/faces and the mesh are different entities in Nastran In-CAD – so this kind of fine visibility control is essential, especially if you have any hidden areas in your model
- Deleting mesh for specific parts
- Troubleshooting mesh on specific parts. If you struggling to get a part to mesh without errors, or you’re getting mesh-related errors when you try to solve the analysis, then using the mesh table to generate only the mesh you’re troubleshooting is a handy way to quickly resolve any problems
Ok that’s it for now. A powerful tool indeed. Feel free to check out the video below.
Note: the below video was created by Excitech prior to becoming Symetri in January 2021, following its acquisition by Addnode Group. All Excitech products, services and solutions mentioned in this recording are available through Symetri.
We all have favourite places where we leave them so that we can easily find them later, it may be on a bedside table, in the kitchen draw, a coat pocket, etc. Wherever it is, we know where to start looking, but what about office equipment and assets, where are they?Learn more