Initial transitions to home working in response to pandemic protocols and government requirements, were tactical in nature. They were designed to plug gaps that might have occurred in project/client servicing continuity. Now, businesses are looking beyond the responsive approach to longer term strategies; progressive, pragmatic, and productive.Learn more
Autodesk Nastran In-CAD 2018 – Mesh Table Tips
Are you starting out with Nastran In-CAD and things are getting a bit meshy?
One thing that can help is getting to grips with the mesh table, it allows really fine control over the mesh in each area of the model, to help with solve times, solve accuracy and troubleshooting.
The mesh table can be accessed here:
And here are my favourite uses for it:
- Adjust mesh size for each part in an assembly. Happily, you can enter a mesh size in mm, which allows pretty fine control on a part-by-part basis
- Adjust mesh settings for each part in an assembly. This is even more powerful – you can change the ratio between the smallest elements (where geometry curvature is highest) and the largest elements (where geometry curvature is lowest) for each part. You can also control how the mesh graduates from small to large elements for each part. Very cool
- Control the visibility of the mesh for specific parts. Don’t forget in Nastran In-CAD this is different from setting the CAD body visibility. The CAD surfaces/faces and the mesh are different entities in Nastran In-CAD – so this kind of fine visibility control is essential, especially if you have any hidden areas in your model
- Deleting mesh for specific parts
- Troubleshooting mesh on specific parts. If you struggling to get a part to mesh without errors, or you’re getting mesh-related errors when you try to solve the analysis, then using the mesh table to generate only the mesh you’re troubleshooting is a handy way to quickly resolve any problems
Ok that’s it for now. A powerful tool indeed. Feel free to check out the video below.
Note: the below video was created by Excitech prior to becoming Symetri in January 2021, following its acquisition by Addnode Group. All Excitech products, services and solutions mentioned in this recording are available through Symetri.
At Symetri we have a dedicated manufacturing (MFG) team, skilled to guide our customers with development in emerging technology and processes linked to manufacturing industry trends.Learn more
The ladder-up or ladder-down concept makes you stop, think and reconsider your behaviours. In this blog, we look at how our AEC Email Management Software, Exictech Mail can help to protect businesses by providing easy access and visibility across project communications along with self-service training to give staff the snippets of knowledge they need to overcome day-to-day hurdles.Learn more